Monday, September 12, 2005

Thyrogen Mediscan - First Follow Up since treatment

Well this week it's (finally) time for my Thyrogen Mediscan to check for cancer and see if the treatment I had in Nov 04 worked! So this morning I received the first of two Thyrogen injections which serve to raise my TSH level high enough (over 30) to uptake a very small dose of radioactive iodine. Yes, this is the same I-131 I had back in November to ablate the remaining cancerous thyroid tissue - however it is minimal compared to the dose I received last year. In Nov I was given approx 100 millicuries of radioactive iodine but this time it will only be approx 4 millicuries. This is just enough to uptake into my system and show up at the end of the week in the scan.

Here is some info from the company: "Thyrogen® is a highly purified recombinant source of human thyroid stimulating hormone (rhTSH) developed for use in well-differentiated thyroid cancer patients who have had near-total or total thyroidectomy, and who must therefore take thyroid hormones and undergo periodic testing for recurrent or persistent cancer. Thyrogen raises serum TSH levels, stimulating I-131 uptake and thyroglobulin (Tg) production and release by cells of thyroid origin"

So this is the plan: Monday: 1st Thyrogen injection - Tuesday: 2nd Thyrogen injection - Wednesday: Radioactive iodine - Thursday: Nothing! - Friday: Lab tests and Scan. Then....WAIT WAIT WAIT until following Tuesday for the results, ugh.

No comments: